Wednesday, June 3, 2009

May 2009 Gardener of the Month!




Congratulations to Jamie Burnside, the Thompsonville Community Garden May 2009 Gardener of the month!

Jamie sent us the following about her very exciting gardening method:

"Hello T-Ville Gardeners! It's very exciting to be gardening with all of you this year. You may have noticed all the string lines marking off spaces in my plot (#29). Those strings are marking off spaces of one square foot each, which allows me to plan ahead for what will grow in each square. Some vegetables take up more space below the soil, such as carrots, and others take up a lot of room above the ground, such as Tomatoes. By marking off the squares and planting this way, I hope to be growing a beautiful checkerboard of many varieties of vegetables. The good news is, with all the space planned out, there is very little room left for weeds!

This method of gardening is detailed out in a very user-friendly book called, "All New : Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. You can also check out his terrific companion website to the book at www.squarefootgardening.com

Thanks so much for honoring me by choosing me as the gardener of the month. It's very humbling, as I am a brand new member of your community. I hope to become friends with many of you and I'll surely enjoy mingling with you all on garden days.

Here's to a happy and warm gardening season! May all your flowers bloom, all your bugs be few, and all your harvests great! "

Jamie Burnside

Thanks Jamie, we hope your gardening experience is a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment